Fork me on GitHub
Math for the people, by the people.

User login

Announcing Board Meeting

Primary tabs

Announcing Board Meeting

This post is to announce the next board meeting, which will be at 10pm Eastern time on April 16th.

The phone call-in information will be

(218) 936-7988
173949#

There will also be an IRC presence, at #planetmath on irc.endernet.org.

The meeting is open to the public.

Topics to be discussed:

- improving transparency of Content Committee procedures
- migration that just happened and aspects that will continue
- upcoming architecture changes (mostly editorial/moderation)
- relationship with fledgling Noosphere Research Institute.

Please post to this thread if you have questions or other suggestions for issues to bring up.
apk


When and where is the "math universe" available that will likely eliminate the need to delete most non-spam content?

How is the CC-Central Committee-- going to improve its transparency vail?

How is the CC-Central Committee-- going to improve its transparency vail? Will it become more or less like the famous emperror's clothes in Christain Andersen's story?

The "math universe" currently is in the beta stage, as is the rest of the editorial features, which are on the new dev server. We are still ironing out some bugs to get that going, but the board has been given a peek (unfortunately because of some bugs that is taking longer than I would have liked).

I cannot say when in specific it will be up and ready, but it will be soon. We have moved past the following phases already in the past few months:

1. extension of the software with the new capabilities
2. (unanticipated) recovery of the production PlanetMath server
3. installation of the new development server

and..

4. (in progress) set up and test the new editorial features for PlanetMath.

When they get to a stage where they have been implemented according to spec, we will do a more open beta test and then assuming that goes well, roll the changes over to the "production" server.

I know it seems like it is taking a long time, and it is, but given how long it takes to do things with almost no resources, and the adverse effect of "natural disasters" like our server getting nuked, I think we are making good progress.

apk

Thank you for the great news about the progress with "math universe", but the rest seems uncertain. Look forward to using the "math universe" that hopefully will not be either hindered or hammered by the CC's.

More good news: the PM on wiki website is now up to snuff--it is no longer a 'stub' as it was yesterday-- and its presence is now "notable" based on the current improvements made today (unlikely to be deleted as some people worried about it at PM--see the relevant logs of postings-- as wiki doesn't have, nor does it need, a CC to run properly).

CC stands for content committee.

In the older newspapers, before 1990 or so, it stood for Central Committees--an unfortunate overlap of shorthand notations-- sorry about the 'Freudian slip'.

I didn't know how to read in 1990 :(

I did, but the CC newspapers weren't worth reading.

PM board meeting, 4/16/09

in attenance:

- Aaron Krowne (emcee, scribe)
- Ray Puzio
- Joe Corneli
- Roger Lipsett
- Chi Woo

(entire board)

agenda:

- improving transparency of Content Committee procedures
- migration that just happened and aspects that will continue
- upcoming architecture changes (mostly editorial/moderation)
- relationship with fledgling Noosphere Research Institute?
- potential collaboration with Teachade

financial "statement":

- about $6766 in bank
- no debts
- expected: a few thousand on dev server setup, editorial features tuning

notes on proceedings

- content committee
- general transparency (most people don't know about CC)
- CC deliberations should be announced BEFORE CONCRETE ACTION IS TAKEN
- use new input queue to develop a prior content guidelines (What is "valid" content?)
- TODO: create new forum for CC to announce activity, discuss workings, etc.
- tagging, input queue essential features

- personal workspaces to come
- risk is that people will not help develop "stub" objects
- make "publicly viewable" personal workspace objects visible? could be very useful to

- more on tagging
- will need arbitrary tag queries in searching, probably
- content committee as "curators of tags"
- right now content committee can add tags to anything (e.g. to make new subsets)
- full fruition of tagging (not imminent): users can add their own "personal tags" to anything (2.0 of tagging system)

- TODO: board will be added to CC deliberation listserv

- moratorium on deleting until tagging/areas on things that are not encyclopedic?
- no, CC will just exercise discretion; keep any removed objects

- "math universe" will likely eliminate the need to delete most non-spam content

- teachade: agreement to proceed with planning to collaborate/partner
- board will examine and approve business NDA
- board will look at specific proposals before agreeing to anything, embark on any projects

apk

Subscribe to Comments for "Announcing Board Meeting"